Sunday, October 23, 2016

The Hearth

She untied the faggot thoughts
And burnt in the hearth of her mind
I saw,in the glow of molten gold
Deep in her sunken eyes
Frozen dreams-
-the remnants of an unfinished story
Her face pale, yet kind,
Invaded by premature wrinkles
Seemed lost in thoughts.
Cursing the gush of the  wind
Stole through the palm leaves
Of the thatch,
She poked the fire and cuddled me
She ran her fingers through my coarse hair
And caressed my face.
I could feel the hard callouses of her palm
The indelible marks
Left by life-long drudgery
She held my head
Tightly against her heart.
The rhythm of her heart beat,
The elixir of love
Suffused into my frail body.
It was a lullaby
At the side of the hearth.
I sank deep
Into the womb

And lay like a foetus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment